Happy Birthday Annie Leibovitz
Renowned American photographer Annie Leibovitz celebrates her 63rd birthday today. She was born on October 2, 1949, in Waterbury, CT.
Leibovitz took painting classes at the San Francisco Art Institute as an undergraduate, but found herself attracted to photography after taking pictures on a family vacation. She switched her studies to photography, and began working on commission for Rolling Stone while still in school in the early 1970s.
At age 23, Leibovitz became the chief photographer of the magazine; over the next 10 years, she photographed figures such as Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones. She also took a particularly famous photograph of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, just hours before Lennon was killed in 1980.
In 1983, Leibovitz joined the staff at Vanity Fair, and in 1998, she also began working for Vogue.
Her photographs have been published in several books, and were the subject of a major exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.; she was the first woman to receive a solo exhibition at this museum.
Leibovitz currently lives and works in New York.
- marissasandovalphotography likes this
- phillymagicgardens likes this
- arthistorysoup reblogged this from artnet
- tooweridtolive-tooraretodie reblogged this from artnet
- komooney likes this
- ihatedoorsbutnotmusic reblogged this from chillesttumblrname
- ihatedoorsbutnotmusic likes this
- everyartisthasabday reblogged this from artnet
- whatifyouleftme likes this
- chillesttumblrname reblogged this from ronswansonismymentor and added:
- marthapaolach likes this
- ronswansonismymentor reblogged this from situationsare
- madelinegbr likes this
- blackatu likes this
- disfigureds reblogged this from situationsare
- situationsare reblogged this from artnet and added:
- eyesthebye likes this
- iactaest reblogged this from artnet
- shitbow reblogged this from artnet
- dikeoucollection reblogged this from artnet
- sneuendorf reblogged this from artnet
- sneuendorf likes this
- surigrennell likes this
- darksilenceinsuburbia likes this
- andrewasantiago likes this
- sfmoma likes this
- davidaedwards reblogged this from artnet
- productivegossip reblogged this from artnet
- thecardinaldelaville reblogged this from artnet and added:
- thecardinaldelaville likes this
- brokenradio likes this
- artnet posted this